The simplest carbonara recipe I could find – so full of flavour, yet so delicate. Adapted from BestRecipes.com.
- 4-6 strips of thick-cut bacon, sliced into squares ~0.5 x 0.5 inches
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 C Half and half cream
- 2 Tbsp sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3/4 C grated cheese (I had some havarti kicking around that worked amazingly)
In a large frying pan, cook bacon until lightly browned. Remove bacon from pan and set aside on paper towel to absorb excess oil. Leave remaining bacon fat in the pan, and use to fry the chicken. Fry chicken until cooked. Add onion and mushrooms, and cook for about 3-5 minutes, until onions soften. Add cream and sour cream (or yogurt), and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Slowly add whisked egg while stirring. Next, add grated cheese and stir until fully melted. Serve over your favourite pasta! I served it over tortellini & paired it with a sauvignon blanc.