These will keep you going for weeks – burrito filling concocted in the slow cooker and made into burritos you can freeze! Also can be made tomato-free for those with allergies/intolerances. Makes 10-12 burritos, total cooking time 6-8 hours. Adapted from The Kitchn.
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 1 14.5oz can of diced tomatoes (tomato-free version: replace tomatoes with 1 can of refried beans + 1/2 can of chicken stock)
- 1 C chicken stock, divided
- 1.5 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and diced (optional, of course!)
- 1 C brown rice
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 C corn (frozen or canned)
- Toppings: cheese, salsa, cilantro, etc. (lettuce, avocado and sour cream are also great toppings but do not freeze well)
- 10-12 flour tortillas
In a large slow cooker, add the chicken breasts, tomatoes OR refried beans and chicken stock, 1/2 cup additional chicken stock, chili powder, cumin and salt. Make sure the chicken in covered in liquid. Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
Add onion, bell pepper, jalepeno, rice, beans, corn, and 1/2 C more chicken stock and stir well. Cook for an additional 3-4 hours on low. Stir the mixture once in a awhile and add water if it appears dry to make sure the rice cooks. When finished cooking, shred chicken using two forks and stir well. Serve immediately, or cool until room temperature to make frozen burritos.
To make frozen burritos: the burrito mix must be room temperature, otherwise the burritos will become a soggy mess. Place burrito mix in the middle of a flower tortilla, top with cilantro, salsa and cheese, and wrap into a burrito shape. Wrap in tinfoil and place in a freezer bag. Freeze. Lasts ~3 months!