It’s taken me a loooong time to find a decent homemade granola bar recipe. No matter what I do, they always fall apart. My hunt has ended with Ambitious Kitchen‘s Chia, Quinoa & Banana bars! They are vegan, gluten free, and stay in one piece.
Preheat oven to 350F, and line a square baking pan with parchment paper (or tin foil works, too).
In a large bowl, mix together
- 1C rolled oats
- 1/2 C quinoa, uncooked (& rinsed!)
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 C chopped nuts & seeds of your choice (I find slivered almonds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, sunflower seeds a nice combo)
- 1/3 C dried fruit (I have made it with dried, unsweetened blueberries, and with chopped dates – both have tasted great)
In a small saucepan on low heat, melt together
- 1/4 C natural peanut or almond butter
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
Pour nut butter mixture into the large bowl of the remaining ingredients, and mix well. Press into prepared pan, and bake for 25 minutes. When cool, cut into 10-12 bars. Wrap individually in plastic wrap, and store in refrigerator.