Updated October 2015! If you, like me, can’t eat tomatoes and are in need of a chili recipe to hold you over, look no further! This chili is chicken-based, is completely tomato-free, and feeds 4-5. Adapted from Spark Recipes.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (fresh or frozen is fine)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1-2 Carrots, diced
- 2-4 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1-3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2-4 tsp Sriracha
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 19oz can white kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 19oz can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 small can corn
- 3/4 C chicken broth
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Add all ingredients (except the lime juice and cilantro) to your slow cooker. Stir well and make sure the chicken is mostly covered by liquid. Cook on high for 3-4 hours, or low for 6-7 hours. Fifteen minutes before cooking time ends, shred the chicken breasts apart using two forks and stir. Immediately before serving stir in the lime juice and cilantro. You won’t beleive it’s tomato free!!
A high-protein, high-fibre meal! This one’s for your slow cooker. So good on a snowy, cold day. Seriously, what’s with this weather, Vancouver? Enjoy! Click here for pretty pictures & original recipe.
- 1 1/2 C red lentils
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 tsp curry powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- Salt & pepper
- 4 1/2 C chicken broth
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Plain yogurt, lime wedges & fresh cilantro for garnish
Add all ingredients (except yogurt, lime & cilantro) to your slow cooker. Stir. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours. 15-20 before serving, remove chicken and pull apart using two forks. Return to slow cooker to finish cooking. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt, fresh lime juice & a sprinkle of cilantro!
Another great one for your slow cooker! You can leave out the chicken and use vegetable stock to make it vegetarian and it will taste just as great. Adapted from here.
- 1 C quinoa, uncooked
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed
- 1 can of corn, rinsed
- 3 C water
- 1 package of chicken bouillon (approx 1 Tbsp)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper (green/yellow/orange/red, your choice), chopped
- 1 jalepeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp (or more!) chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Add all ingredients to slow cooker and mix to evenly distribute. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-6 hours.